Monday 23 March 2009

Exercises pg 52 Modals

Manel Pintado Pérez English p.52

Modal verbs: STEP BY STEP

2- Ability and permission: can, could, be able to, be allowed to

Match A-F with 1-6. What are the will future forms of 1 and 2?

A ability (present) à 5 I can speak English.

B ability (present perfect) à 4 I have never been able to do maths.

C ability (past) à 2 Could the teacher hear you?

D permission à 3 Can I come in, please?

E permission à 6 They’ve been allowed to leave.

F permission à 1 We weren’t allowed to wear trainers.

Future forms:

1- We won't be allowed wearing trainers.

2- Will could the teacher hearing you?

2- Ability and permission: can, could, be able to, be allowed to.

A Complete the sentences with the correct verb.

Present

1 Two of my friends can play instruments.

2 At our school we can wear jewellery.

Past

3 I could talk when I was three.

4 I could stay up late after I was twelve.

Present perfect

5 I’ve always been able to swim fast.

6 She’s never been allowed to dye her hair.

Future

7 One day, people will be able to visit Mars.

8 I won’t be allowed to get a job until I’m seventeen.

B Write sentences about yourself.

1 When I was a child I couldn't drink alcohol.

2 I couldn't talk until I was 1 year old.

3 Nowadays I can’t go outside country.

4 I’ve never been able to play the guitar.

5 I hope that in the future I will have finished the studies.

Pag. 52 Pilar Ciria

3.

A) Write six sentences. Use a word phrase from each column in each sentence.

  • It couldn't be easy to be the principal of a big high school.
  • People couldn't use computers in class 30 years ago.
  • Life can be very strange sometimes.
  • Life may get easier as you get older.
  • I may get an interesting job when I'm older.
  • People must be mad if they take guns to school.

B) Write sentences about the ideas in 1-6. Use may, might, can, could and must.

1. It must be fun to windsurf.

2. I can't surf, it is very dangerous because there are sharks.

3. I might try sushi one day.

4. I may do yoga when I'm older.

5. He passed the subject, he must be happy.

6. I can do a cruise and go visit different places when I have more money.

MODAL VERBS

4. Obligation and necessity.

-In which sentence is there no obligation?

You don’t have to tell me

Claudia Cortés

A. Match sentences 1-6 with A-F.

1. You needn’t take an umbrella -> C. It isn’t necessary.

2. You shouldn’t drink too much coffee. -> B. That’s my advice.

3. I had to study it for the exam. -> A. It was obligatory

4. We didn’t have to wear a uniform. -> E. There was no obligation

5. You mustn’t smoke at school. -> F. It is prohibited.

6. I must phone my mum – it’s late. -> D. I feel obliged to do it.

B. Choose two topics 1-4. Write four sentences for each topic.

2. To be healthy:

A. you must do exercise.

B. you ought to have a doctor.

C. you don’t have to eat unhealthy food.

D. you shouldn’t stay at home all the day.

3. To be a good student:

A. you needn’t stay at home all the days.

B. you should do the homework.

C. you mustn’t study the day before the exam.

D. you must pay attention in the class.

No comments: